One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Wrapping up the poultry scene

The only chicken that didn't flee the girls was a chicken that couldn't. She was crippled, making her Prime Target # 1 for the girls affections.

Kate was gentle enough, but Julia had a mischievous gleam in her eye the entire time. I did what I could to shield the hen from too much toddler attention, but I'm sure the bird had night mares that night.

When the chickens turned out to be too, well, chicken, Julia turned her attention to some larger birds. Geese. These water fowl, unlike their smaller cousins, were fully willing to take her on.

This photo is misleading - the geese are posturing and hissing at Julia. I had to intervene - this time on Julia's behalf. I doubt she would have faired well against those beaks and buffeting wings.


1 comment:

Chelsa said...

I love how the chicken is lying prone in the dirt in that first shot, vainly hoping that playing dead will allow it to escape. I have rarely seen such an utterly dejected fowl in all my life.