One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Genna, the Spirited Child

When the twins were a few months old, we took a quiz offered by Tracy Hogg (The Baby Whisperer). This quiz is aimed at helping parents identify what type of child they are raising. She identifies five different types. Kate came up as a cross between Textbook and Angel, and Genna came up as Spirited. As you might guess, 'spirited' implies a child who likes to explore and challenge - a child who can be difficult at times. I believe these photos prove the point.














This photo was taken during Halloween. See my daughter? Climbing on the table when no one is looking? That seems to be a theme. If she goes quiet for too long, she is either standing in front of a mirror, playing with strings, or getting into trouble. Look at her mischievous grin.














Lookee here. I left her unattended on the potty for a few minutes because my mom called. I went in to check on her, and she had unrolled an entire roll of toilet paper. "Mom, I gotta go."














Genna has taken up the practice of stripping off her clothes during nap time. This photo is from just a couple days ago. I came in to get her up from her nap, and what do you know? She has taken off every stitch of clothing and her diaper. I don't know how she does it. Needless to say, this practice has got to stop by the time she enters womanhood.














This photo was taken during a family vacation to R "Wild Horse" Ranch. Genna, don't you see the sign? DON'T FEED THE HORSES! You can't ask for a better example of blatant disrespect for authority and order. But, the horse was happy.

Yes, you can say that Genna is something of a challenge. Last night I was getting her into her pajamas after her bath. She was laying on the changing table playing with the band on the towel when I heard her say, "Mommy daddies get marry, and a family, and a house. Amen." First she pushes me to the edge of my parenting skills and then goes and says something like this, and TOTALLY REDEEMS HERSELF! It's good to know that she is at least paying attention during family prayers.

No comments: