One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

WARNING: Your Child May Explode You

One of our favorite features of our kitchen is our gas oven. It cooks our food wonderfully. The problem is that when you turn the knob to light a burner, if you only turn it part way, gas starts flowing into the air but the flame does not light. This hasn't been a real problem, though. Until last night.
Annie left the house in the morning, and we didn't get back until twelve hours later. While I was still unloading the twins from the van, Annie went ahead inside with Julia. She came rushing back outside with that awful 'something is very wrong' look on her face. "Justin, the house is full of gas."
I hurried inside - which now seems like an unwise thing to do. Oh well. It turns out that for the last twelve hours, our stove had been filling our house with natural gas - and all of our windows had been shut. The house absolutely wreaked - every room, every closet, the upstairs. Everything. Upon further examination, it turned out that one of the burners had been turned on by one of the twins (given my last post, you can guess who I might suspect).
I called PG&E and we ended up having to open all the doors and windows and let the house air out for over an hour (well past 10 pm) - and the air coming in was under 50 degrees.
Let this be a warning, a cautionary tale, to all parents of youngins. I think children should come with a warning label. They might kill you.


Ian said...

If you smell gas in the home, PG&E recommends lighting a match to check for a dangerous gas leak. There might be gas! A quick match lighting will let you know for sure to protect your family!

Raging Wombat said...

Thank for the help, Ian, as always.