One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Friday, March 24, 2006

My Lips!

Here is a story that my mom and sisters can relate to ...

The twins had just finished eating, and Annie had gotten Genna down from her highchair. She had just walked back to the kitchen, when she heard Kate start crying from her highchair, loudly. Annie turned to Kate and asked her what was wrong. Kate said, "My lips! My lips!" She continued to cry and then pointed to Genna, "Sleeping Beauty has my lips!"

Annie looked over to see Genna standing a few feet away, with her hand held up and clenched in a fist as though she were holding something. She had a mischievious look on her face. "Genna, give Kate her lips back," Annie said. Without a word, Genna opened her hand and made a throwing motion towards Kate. She then ran away.

Kate, now reunited with her lips, stopped crying.

I love little kids' imaginations. They are so rich. Sometimes, though, they go way too far. What made Genna pretend to steal Kate's lips, and what made Kate think that Genna had actually stolen her lips? We will never know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

why can your mom and sisters relate particularly? Have they also been the victims of lip thievery?

Raging Wombat said...

My mom once had to break up a fight between my sisters. Shannon was busy taking pictures of Kelly with an invisible camera, and wouldn't share it with Kelly. Kelly, being clever, decided to reach up and pretend to take the camera. Shannon ended up crying her eyes out.

The lip thievery is another story ...

Anonymous said...

The only thing is, Shannon was SIX years old, not 2 3/4! Crying, "She took my camera! She took my camera!". Kelly, age 4, had such a self satisfied grin on her face.

Love, Mom

Raging Wombat said...

Hmm, the age does make a difference. Can I expect my girls to be a few years ahead of whatever mischief my sisters got into? That would put them making their first bank robbery at ... what, age 12?

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about the armed robbery or just the after-hours vault break-in?

Mom

Raging Wombat said...

Oh, ya, and there is that one!

Anonymous said...

Genna does take after her brilliant Auntie Kelly. Very clever girl.

Raging Wombat said...

The younger sister outwitting the older does seem to be a theme here.