One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Patty-cake

Yesterday marked a milestone in Julia's development. She did her first learned behavior. I'm not talking about being able to sleep through the night, or sit up, or open her mouth when the spoon approaches. No, those are all natural extensions of what she was already able to do. This is a totally new behavior.

Yesterday, Annie taught Julia how to clap her hands together when Annie sings 'Patty-cake.' It is adorable. Julia will sit and smile and smash her hands together in an imitation of clapping if you sing "Patty-cake, Patty-cake, Baker's man. Bake me a cake as fast as you can ..." She may be the smartest child ever (a pardon to those who also have young ones. I'm biased. Sue me).

As I watched her for the first time, I could see her future span to the horizon. Simple clapping evolved into other athletic accomplishments, then into Olympic gold. Now I just need to find a sport for her to excel in that won't drain my wallet, or require me to relocate the whole family.

No comments: