One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Traction Action

My physical therapist set me up with a cervical traction device designed to stretch my neck out in hopes of getting rid of my herniated disc. Here is a picture of pathetic me.


See the water bag between my knees? It is filled with 10 lbs of water, which provides the counter weight to pull on the harness strapped around my head. I do it twice a day, for 10 minutes. At least it gives me some reading time. My daughters don't quite get it. And no, that isn't underwear my head - that is the harness.

I met with a neuro-surgeon on Monday. He showed me my MRI and how my herniated disc is so large that it is actually pressing on the spinal cord itself. Luckily, though, he said that 90% of patients with my diagnosis will have the hernia get reasborbed within a few months (6 on the outside). Wish me luck.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

have any other body parts broken since we saw you yesterday?

Raging Wombat said...

Not yet, though my medula oblongata hurts ...

Ian said...

Wow...that really sucks. Thats so lame I can't even mock it.

Raging Wombat said...

It's OK. Go ahead and mock. I would, if I were you.

Dear Lovey Heart said...

good luck!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna hold back on making fun of you because I know you're in so much pain. But in a year or two...you're toast, dude. Love ya!

Raging Wombat said...

You are all too kind to me.

Uncle Chrissy - in a year or two I will be so huge from the roids that you won't dare taunt me.

Anonymous said...

You'll have to let me know how that works for you. I have a herniated disk in my lower back as well. I've been recently trying an inversion table this past week.

Buppa H said...

Yep. That's the same contraption they gave me. But I was too embarrassed to be seen using it.

Hey! Maybe if you tied a cinder block to the other end and threw it over the top of a door you could get your neck fixed in one fell swoop instead of the daily treatments.

Just a thought.