One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Church of Disney

I had a very interesting conversation with Kate. I love that the twins are getting older, because I can actually talk with them, and get inside their heads.

I was playing with Kate when she pretended to cry and said, "I have to go find father." She then covered her face with her hands and collapsed on me. What she was doing here was pretending to be Ariel from The Little Mermaid. I was intrigued to find out who she thought 'father' was. Here is how our conversation went:

Me: "Kate, who is father?"
Kate: "I have to go find father" (still 'crying')
Me: "Kate, am I your father?"
Kate: [laughing] "No, you're daddy-father."
Me: [trying a new approach] "Okay. What is father's name?" (I expected her to say 'King Triton' from The Little Mermaid)
Kate: [looking around wide-eyed] "His name is Jesus!"
Me: [now very intrigued] "Oh, it is? What does Jesus look like?"
Kate [standing and reaching her hands high] "He's so tall!"
Me: [thinking that all of our Sundays at church had not been in vain] "What else does he look like?"
Kate: "Then the queen gave Snow White an apple! Her dress is so sparkley!" (Kate proceeds to twirl, so her Tinkerbell skirt fans out).

What? My hopes were dashed. I could see that in her prodigious imagination, religious concepts and Disney story lines were horribly intertwined. I guess only time and more instruction can help her differentiate the two. In the meantime, I have considered paying tithing to Disney, Inc., since they seem to have formed a new religion in my house. But perhaps all of our purchases of Disney paraphernalia will suffice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly you daughter has heard of our church. We are a small movement, but I think a great one none the less. You should come hear a service sometime. Free malt vineger will be served.

Raging Wombat said...

I already feel the fire of conversion burning in my brain ...

Dear Lovey Heart said...

hahahahahhahahahahahahha