One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Friday, December 16, 2005

Very Disappointed

Several months ago, the Duggar family of Arkansas made the news with the arrival of their 16th child.
But today it is being
reported that a family from my own backyard, in Sacramento, has them beat. The Chernenkos have given birth (well, the mom did) to their 17th kid. They can now lay claim to having the nation's largest family. Mr. & Mrs. Chernenko are immigrants from the Ukraine, and have been married for 24 years.
What bothers me is not the number of kids. I feel, hey, if you can make them and provide for them without being on the dole, that is fine. What bugs me is that neither one of these families is Mormon! Come on! Heck, they aren't even Catholic. I am very disappointed in my people. Are we losing the 'largest families' title to some 'miscellaneous' group? Where is our pride?

I'm doing my part. We had twins, and then a third daughter two years later. We hope to have more, but, alas, I fear that 18 kids may be beyond even my wife's maternal prowess. I'll talk to her tonight, though, and see if I can convince her.
If you don't see a post for a few days, it means that my wife took my suggestion poorly. Please look for me in one of the irrigation ditches surrounding Woodland.

No comments: