One Couple's Stumblings Through Parenthood and Marriage

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Where Did She Get That?

Ever since she was old enough to reach out and grab things, Genna's preferred toys have always been strings and laces. Shoe laces, hair ties, twine, you name it, she is obsessed with it. Lately we have given her a spare shoe lace, and she carries it with her wherever she goes.
Yesterday I was home alone with the girls. The twins were jumping on the bed and I was holding Julia in the rocking chair. Genna called out, "Daddy, help! It's a little mermaid." I looked over to see what she could possibly be talking about. She was holding up her shoe lace by one end and pointing at a knot she had accidentally made in the middle of it. Ok, I thought - what does that have to do with The Little Mermaid? I untied the knot and went about my business.
About a half an hour later, she calls out "Daddy, help! It's a little mermaid!" Sure enough, she was pointing at a new knot she had tied into the lace. I would love to get inside her two-year-old head and see what makes her think a knot in a shoe lace is called a little mermaid. What kind of connection could there possibly be? If I had the endurance to watch The Little Mermaid for the 34th time, I might get some insight - but just thinking of it is exhausting. Alas, I may never solve this mystery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops! your mother read your blog! Don't blame me for watching that movie! I said I was sorry! It was good in the theater - just ask kelly! PS - why do you have a link to it if you dislike it so much? Also, do you really like Jennifer Lopez?

Mom

Raging Wombat said...

Dang it! I'm in trouble again!

I linked to it so every one would know what I am talking about.

Yes, I actually liked Jennifer Lopez as an actress - don't ask me why. Because I don't know.

Ian said...

You told me that Monster in Law was "Better then Lord of the Rings"! I feel betrayed.

Raging Wombat said...

I lied. Okay? Don't judge me.